Here are some examples of the recent successes we have had, both at Assessment and in negotiations:
- Successfully overcame the Medway argument when recovering costs for a Defendant’s Counterclaim. Understanding the law and preparing a proper witness statement, was the key to this success in Court.
- Recovering the costs of a Claimant who sustained brain damage as a result of a drowning incident whilst on a school excursion. The claim for costs amounted to £473k. The matter was assessed in the Senior Courts Costs Office and the Claimant recovered £433k including interest and assessment costs.
- Acting on behalf of a financial beneficiary and reducing the professional Executor’s costs by over half with effective negotiations. The client initially only asked us to check the hourly rates.
- Successfully and regularly challenging the common misconception that SCCO Summary Assessment Guideline hourly rates apply to all cases.
- Recovering funding costs in their entirety at a Detailed Assessment Hearing before a Regional Costs Judge. This is very much a 50/50 issue with each Judge having their own views on funding items.
- Recently and regularly recovering the costs of the Fee Earner attending the Detailed Assessment Hearing (including travel and waiting) alongside the Costs Lawyer.
- Negotiating and reducing our client’s liability for costs by over 40% with the Costs Lawyer incurring less than two hours work in dealing with the matter.
- Acting for Mr M in a boundary dispute. Despite a strong opposition from opposing Counsel, we managed to recover double that offered by the paying party, leaving the final sum awarded by the Court marginally short of what was originally being claimed.
- Participating in a Joint Settlement Meeting which resulted in recovering costs of £385,000 against the sum claimed of £411,000. This was a complex brain injury case resulting from a Road Traffic Accident.